Write Me!!!

amberly.austin@myldsmail.net

Monday, September 8, 2014

A Message for My High School Friends


Students of Springville High,

I've been thinking about you guys a little these past few weeks since school started and all. I'm stealing this idea from Sister Marie Terry, and I would recomend you all go read her email she sent last winter.  

I just want to give a few words of advice from someone who's been there. High school is so short, so you all need to make the most of it! HAVE FUN!!! You only get one chance. I want to tell you what I think the best way to have fun in High school is.

Being nice! To everyone! Everyone's different and you all have different strengths. Be nice to others. You don't know what someone's going through, just be nice. Make sure and include people, you can have fun with more than just your group of friends. It doesn't matter who you're with, just enjoy it!  

I also want to talk a little about jealousy because it's something I had problems with in high school. I'm going to share a little of my experience with you all. I'm sure all of you know or have heard of Malia Nawahine.  I got the opportunity to play basket ball with her in High School. For those of you who don't know her, she's amazing at basketball. She's currently playing at the U of U right now, actually. Anyways, Malia moved to our school my junior year, and was amazing at basketball. We played the same position on the team and consequently a lot of my hopes and dreams with basketball were crushed. I didn't get to start like I had always wanted. I was super jealous of her and was constantly comparing myself to Malia, and it damaged our relationship. After we graduated, and the issue of basketball was out of the way, we became pretty close friends, because I wasnt jealous! Bonnie L Oscarson said, "When we compare ourselves to one another, we will always feel inadequate or resentful of others...We just need to relax and rejoice in our divine differences. We need to realize that we all desire to serve in the kingdom, using our unique talents and gifts in our own ways."  Each of us is different, and you all have different talents. Malia and I are different and thats okay! I'm doing what I need to be doing, and she's doing what she needs to be doing!  Some of you may be good at sports, some may be good at singing, math, playing an instrument, the list goes on and on.  Heavenly father loves all of you!  (D&C 18:10¨)  Stop concentrating on your differences! Sister Oscarson goes on to say, "If there are barriers, it is because we ourselves have created them. We must stop concentrating on our differences and look for what we have in common: then we can begin to realize our greatest potential and achieve the greatest good in this world." Look at what you have in common and not why your different, JUST BE YOU!  Don't try to be someone else.

I have a goal for each of you, think of someone that needs your help, or a friend you might be jealous of, CALL THEM! LOVE THEM! INCLUDE THEM! You won't regret it, I promise!  

Hermana Amby Austin

PS  If you would like to read a few talks I have a few to recommend: 
1. Sisterhood Oh How We Need Each Other--Bonnie L. Oscarson
2. Your 4 Minutes--Gary E. Stevenson


Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment